Get in touch with us

Let’s connect

Get in Touch

How to Mention People in Posts or Comments on LinkedIn

by LinkedIn Marketing

If you are getting frustrated with LinkedIn taking it’s time to let you tag or mention colleagues when you are posting on LinkedIn, you are not alone! While the LinkedIn User Experience is improving, the reality is we need to be patient when we want to tag or mention someone in a post on LinkedIn.

I will type in @ and begin to write the first few letters of the person’s name and then wait a few seconds. If I am connected to the person, their name will come up quicker. Sometimes it works faster than others. Sometimes I have to have a few goes before it works.

Why You Would Mention Connections or Colleagues in LinkedIn Posts or Comments

You may want to mention a connection or other LinkedIn member for a variety of reasons. It may be to thank them, to acknowledge something they have written or to highlight their contribution to or involvement with a recent event or conference. Mentioning or tagging your connections in this way can encourage engagement with your posts and comments and draw your connection’s attention to your update.

The mention or tag will notify your connections that your post or comment might be relevant to them. It is important to note that connections mentioned in your post or comment are associated with their profiles. If you would like to remove a mention of yourself from a comment or post, here’s how. Viewers are also able to click on connection names to navigate to their profiles.

How to Mention Connections or Colleagues in LinkedIn Posts or Comments

If you’d like to know how to mention or tag people in your LinkedIn Posts, here’s how:

how to mention people in your comments on linkedin

• On your LinkedIn homepage, click into the Share an article, photo, video or idea field or click Comment at the bottom of someone else’s post.
  • Type “@” and then begin typing a name in the box. You’ll see a list of potential people you can mention.
  • Click on the name of the person or people you want to mention from the list and continue typing your message.

how to mention a connection or linkedin member in a linkedin post

After you select someone from the list and finish your post, that person will receive a notification and an email letting them know you’ve mentioned them.

It works the same for when you are commenting on other people’s posts as a comment on LinkedIn. Here’s an example:

how to tag someone in a comment on LinkedIn

Important things to Remember about Mentioning or Tagging Connections or Colleagues on LinkedIn

• LinkedIn members don’t need to be your connection in order to mention you or be mentioned by you (as you can see in the example above, when I typed in @Kerryn, the drop down menu included 1st degree connections and 2nd degree connections)
  • The Mentions feature is not available for articles published on the LinkedIn publishing platform. However when you press ‘publish’ on your article, you can mention people in the update.
  • You can also edit your posts and comments to add a mention after you have posted it.

I hope this article has been helpful. If you have any questions about LinkedIn for your career or business, please contact us.

Karen Hollenbach

Karen Hollenbach

As one of Asia Pacific’s Top 10 LinkedIn Experts I share fortnightly news with my global email community and run monthly online Lunch and Learns to teach professionals how to unlock LinkedIn. Sign up to my newsletter to help you learn LinkedIn – the right way!

39 Comments

1. Vaibhav

Hello,

If I mention a person in my post will my existing conections be updated/notified of this activity of mine?

Please answer this little yet important query of mine as I couldn’t find a swer to it anywhere on the Internet.

• Karen Hollenbach

Yes – they are likely to see it, but it will depend how often they are on LinkedIn, how many connections they have and how often these connections are posting content.

2. selin

Thank you but sometimes the person I actually want to tag doesn’t come on this list and I can’t scroll down.
    What to do now?

• LAL

I have the same issue. Cant find the person, when i use the @mention , but can find the person using the reqular search. And there is no way to bring that info, to the @mention.
      @mention provides a small list with no scrolling – and only few close matches.

• Rhonda

If you go to the profile and look in the website bar with the specific address, you can see other characters (dashes, numbers, etc.) that make up their name/organization profile name on LinkedIn. It might be that after the “@,” you need to start adding those specific characters. That’s what worked for me.

• Justina

In my case, my colleagues can’t mention me. I just don’t come up at all when my name is typed. Have also enabled the tag and mention option but nothing still.

Hi Justina,
            Thanks for your comment. In your case it sounds like you may need to adjust your settings and privacy. You may have it so people can not mention you. Please contact me via the website content form and I will send you an instructional video for fixing this. https://thinkbespoke.com.au/contact Thanks, Karen

• Rog Morton

Helpful suggestion but how about a person that is a politician? Have copied their profile address. Then…
          deleted https:/linkedin.com/
          deleted the numbers after their profile name
          tried typing their name exactly as it appears in their profile address. This includes the hyphens (“-“) and numbers.

Still, no result. any suggestions? Thanks for your help. The person’s profile could be submitted in my reply but wasn’t sure of the possible issues with doing so.

• Karen Hollenbach

Hi Rog, They may have chosen not to be mentioned. This is an option in settings. Thanks, Karen

• Ryan

I just discovered you can type in the company of the person you’re tagging! So @[name] [company] solved this issue for me.

3. Total Slim Keto

This is the perfect website for everyone who really wants to understand this topic.

You know a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a new spin on a topic that has been written about
    for years. Wonderful stuff, just excellent!

• Karen Hollenbach

Thanks for letting us know it was helpful.

4. SF180 Keto

Good day very nice site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing ..
    I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also?I am glad to search out a lot of helpful information right here in the publish, we’d like work out extra techniques in this regard,
    thank you for sharing.

You are very welcome.

5. Wassim

How do people put multiple @mentions in their posts or comments quickly?

• Karen Hollenbach

Hi Wassim. Thanks for your question. There’s no quick or automated way to do it. You need to follow the suggested steps in the article and be patient with LinkedIn. I wish I had another answer for you! Thanks, Karen

6. Alicia Cassell

How do you mention other companies from your own company page? There has been several times now when I have tried to mention other organizations in a post on my company page but it will not let me tag them. Any suggestions?

• Karen Hollenbach

Hi Alicia, If they have a company page, you can use the same approach as I have suggested for people. Start by writing @ and then type in the name of the company page and you will get the drop down menu. Thanks, Karen

7. Bill Young

The @ function does not work for me in Linkedin posts. Yes, it shows a drop-down list but it is the same list every time and appears to be my first ten (out of 3000) contacts, alphabetically. If I remove the space between first and second name, it may suggest another, closer name but, to date, never the one I am looking for.

• Karen Hollenbach

Hi Bill, Thanks for your comment. This sounds frustrating. May I suggest you have the full name at your disposal and you type the whole name in until it comes up? Or have you tried this and it’s still not working? Thanks, Karen

8. Kristina

I keep trying to tag my own company page from my personal LinkedIn page. It just will not appear in the dropdown when I @ it. Plenty of other companies and individuals with similar names show up for me to select, but not my own company page.

• Karen Hollenbach

Hi Kristina, Thank you for your comment. That sounds extremely frustrating. Is your company page set up correctly and can you see the logo of your company page in the experience section of your profile? Knowing this information will help me answer your question. Thanks, Karen

9. Jo

Can you tag people or companies in articles?

• Karen Hollenbach

Hi Jo and thank you for your question. The short answer is no. The longer answer is that you can link to people’s LinkedIn Profiles and Company pages within the article. This is using the normal hyperlink function offered within the LinkedIn article format. When you first publish the article and share some commentary with this, you may be able to mention the person and company using the format I have suggested above, but it is not editable, so be wary of this. I hope this helps. Thanks, Karen

10. Susann Kern

Dear Karen, I have created a company profile and unfortunately I have issues to mention the company in posts from myself or colleagues. In the beginning typing the @ and the company name, nothing came up so I trued many different ways and in the end I found when I type #doubletree-by-hilton-turin etc so every word devided by “-” the company profile showed up and I could mention. However I have not created the name/profile of my company with the “-” between each word but just normal space. Would you know why is like this and how I can change, given the fact that like this not many peolple can mention us as they don’t find us. THANKS for your reply and your helpful article.

• Karen Hollenbach

Hi Susann, This sounds very frustrating. I have sent you an email requesting the URL of the company page to help me answer your question. Thanks,
      Karen

11. EEB

Dear Karen,
    today I tried mentioning a company on one of my showcase pages. Initially everything seemed fine: I found the company on the list suggested by LinkedIn and managed to select it. Just after the post was up I could still “see the mention” and I could still click on it (and it worked), but when I refreshed the page the mention disappeared. I tried several times and the same thing kept happening again again. What can I do to fix this?
    THANKS in advance

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks for sharing your recent experience with the mention feature. This sounds frustrating. Can you please send me the link to the post so I can view it? I will separately email you so you have my email address.

Thanks,
      Karen

12. Iryna Bernatska

Dear Karen,
    I am wondering if there is any option to tag all the people who attended an event (let’s assume that the event has hashtag etc)? If we have many visitors (more than 50) then it is time-consuming to add them manually and it could be great to tag them at once by the hashtag. Kind regards,

13. rubber stamp

Magnificent website. Lots of helpful information here.
    I’m sending it to a few friends ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And naturally, thanks on your sweat!

• Karen Hollenbach

Thanks for letting me know it was helpful Martin.

14. Mary Horwath

Thank you for this info – is there a limit (quantity) of people that you can tag on an individual post?

• Karen Hollenbach

Thanks for your question Mary. LinkedIn does not specify if there is a limit, and I have personally been included in mentions of 20+ people. You would need to test this to find out. However – be careful mentioning too many people as this may not be well received by some, as it will present as a big block of text below your post. It could be viewed as a bit ‘spammy’, as these people’s connections will also see the update you mention them in, and this may/may not be something they want. Another approach would be to post the update, and then get the link from the top RH corner of the post and share it with them privately. Which approach you take will depend on what you are trying to achieve. When tagging people in a photo (versus mentioning) you can tag up to 30 people.

15. Asad Naveed

I tried to @mention someone on LinkedIn Company Page, that I admin, and LinkedIn did come up with some names. I selected the right one and posted. But this person was NOT informed by LinkedIn. Does it mean that this @mention feature does not work on LinkedIn Page?

• Karen Hollenbach

Thanks for your questions Asad. It is unusual that the person did not receive a notification. This is the first time I have heard this reported.

Submit a Comment