There are many ways LinkedIn can help professionals who are in active job search. In today’s article I will explore 3 LinkedIn tools you can use to help you secure your next role.
Send the right signals to Recruiters & Your Network
In an environment where people are increasingly making decisions based on the information available to them online, your LinkedIn presence is a critical touch point to help you get found by hiring managers and recruiters and can help you secure your next job.
If you’re looking for a job, and in active job search, you can let recruiters and your network on LinkedIn know you’re open to new job opportunities. You can also specify the types of job opportunities that you’re interested in and your preferred location. By activating this feature, LinkedIn will help your profile show up in search results when recruiters look for suitable job candidates. This is a free feature for all LinkedIn members.
How to enable the #OpenToWork feature
- Click the Me icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Click View profile.
- Click the Open To button below your headline
- Click Finding a new Job
- Click Looking for job opportunities.
- Provide the requested information in the pop-up window that appears (you can choose up to 5 job titles)
- You can choose whether all LinkedIn members or only recruiters can see that you’re open to job opportunities. If you choose to share with all LinkedIn members, we’ll add an #OpenToWork photo frame to your profile photo.
- Click Add to Profile.
Set up Job Alerts
You can create job alerts on LinkedIn to stay updated with new job postings that match your preferences. LinkedIn will allow you to choose whether you want to receive these alerts on a daily or weekly basis through email, app notifications, or both. This is a free feature for all LinkedIn members.
How to create alerts based on the job search you just completed
- To create a job alert search for a job on LinkedIn here.
- At the top left of the job search results page, switch the Job alert toggle to On to create a job alert for your current search criteria.
- Switch the toggle to Off to turn off the job alert.
- In the Create search alert pop-up, select how often you’d like to receive alerts about new jobs on LinkedIn that fit those specific search parameters from the Receive alert dropdown.
- Select how you’d like to get notified from the Get notified via dropdown.
- Click Save.
Watch this video to learn more.
Explore Your Career Path
LinkedIn’s Career Explorer helps you discover new career paths and is also their gateway to LinkedIn Learning. In the image above, I’ve typed in my geographic location and the role I want to know more about. Importantly, LinkedIn has used the information in my LinkedIn Profile to assess my suitability for this type of career. This means the more detail you have supplied in your LinkedIn profile, the better this tool will work for you.
Career Explorer allows you to:
- Learn how the skills you already have map to thousands of jobs
- Enter your most recent job, and LinkedIn will show you new job opportunities that could be a good fit and resources to help you make a career pivot.
Beware – some of these resources are free and some will require a Premium account.
As one of Asia Pacific’s Top 10 LinkedIn Experts I share fortnightly news with my global email community and run monthly online Lunch and Learns to teach professionals how to unlock LinkedIn. Sign up to my newsletter to help you learn LinkedIn – the right way!