There are many free LinkedIn features available to Australian professionals who are in active job search. In this article we show you how to activate the Open to Work feature and set up Job Alerts via your LinkedIn Profile.
Activate the Open to Work Feature
By activating this feature, LinkedIn will help your profile show up in search results when recruiters are looking for suitable job candidates. This is a free feature for all LinkedIn members.
If you’re yet to activate this feature, please consider this. In an environment where people are increasingly making decisions based on the information available to them online, your LinkedIn presence is a critical touch point to help you get found by hiring managers and recruiters and will help you secure your next job. Now is the time to take advantage of the role your LinkedIn profile can play in helping recruiters and hiring managers find you on LinkedIn.
The Open to Work feature can let recruiters and your network on LinkedIn know you’re open to new job opportunities. It also let’s you specify the types of job opportunities you’re interested in and your preferred location, including whether you are open to remote opportunities.
How to activate the #OpenToWork Feature
When logged into your LinkedIn profile, view your LinkedIn profile and look for the Open to button below your profile photo, headline and location.
Here’s a step by step guide.
- Click the Me icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Click View profile.
- Click the Open To button below your headline
- Click Finding a new Job
- Click Looking for job opportunities.
- Provide the requested information in the pop-up window that appears (you can choose up to 5 job titles)
- You can choose whether all LinkedIn members or only recruiters can see that you’re open to job opportunities. If you choose to share with all LinkedIn members, LinkedIn will add a green #OpenToWork photo frame to your profile photo.
- Click Add to Profile.
This is the #OpenToWork photo frame and is the only signal your network will get that you are open to work. This means your connections either need to look at you profile to notice it, or you need to be active on LinkedIn, by liking and commenting on content in your newsfeed, for your connections to notice the photo frame.
How to Set up Job Alerts on LinkedIn
You can create job alerts on LinkedIn to stay updated with new job postings that match your preferences. LinkedIn will allow you to choose whether you want to receive these alerts on a daily or weekly basis through email, app notifications, or both. This is a free feature for all LinkedIn members.
When you first access this feature on LinkedIn, there are a few tabs that may distract you from setting up your job alerts. Stay focussed and move through these steps first.
1. Click on Jobs (top RH side)
2.Click on Job Alerts
3. Click on Search for jobs.
If you have never set up a job alert from your LinkedIn, you will see this page.
If you have previously set up job alerts, LinkedIn will show the job alerts. You can delete and edit these job alerts, or start a new search.
4. Choose your search filters by clicking on the options in the top column. You can choose Date Posted, Experience Level, Company, Job Type, Remote, Easy Apply and view All Filters for the expanded list.
When first setting up your job alerts, start wide with job type and geographic location, before refining your search and creating the Job Alert. It’s good to keep an eye on who’s hiring at what company. This allows you to see which recruiters and hiring managers are responsible for these types of roles.
5. At the top left of the job search results page, switch the Job alert toggle to On (see image below) to create a job alert for your current search criteria.
6. In the Create search alert pop-up, select how often you’d like to receive alerts about new jobs on LinkedIn that fit those specific search parameters from the Receive alert dropdown.
7. Select how you’d like to get notified from the Get notified via dropdown.
8. Click Save.
How Can We Help?
We support Australian professionals in the mid-board stage of their career. Download our Professional Profile checklist before you activate the #OpenToWork feature and make sure you’re presenting the best version of you.
As one of Asia Pacific’s Top 10 LinkedIn Experts I share fortnightly news with my global email community and run monthly online Lunch and Learns to teach professionals how to unlock LinkedIn. Sign up to my newsletter to help you learn LinkedIn – the right way!