Did you know you can customise your LinkedIn profile public URL? For car enthusiasts, it’s a bit like personalised number plates! Custom LinkedIn public profile URLs are available on a first come, first serve basis and a great way to claim your real estate on LinkedIn.
If you have a unique first name or surname, it’s likely that you’ll still be able to claim your customised LinkedIn Profile. For job hunters, it’s a much cleaner and professional way to display your LinkedIn profile link on your resume. For business owners and specialists who are known by their name it’s also yet another way to help you get found online.
How to Access Your Public Profile URL via your LinkedIn Profile
Log into your LinkedIn Profile when you are on your desktop computer or laptop and access the Edit public profile & URL feature in the top RH side of the image below. To get to this page:
- Click the Me icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Click View profile.
- Click Edit public profile & URL on the right rail.
- Under Edit your custom URL in the right rail, click the Edit icon next to your public profile URL.
- It’ll be an address that looks like www.linkedin.com/in/yourname.
- Type the last part of your new custom URL in the text box.
- Click Save.
LinkedIn Public Profile URL Parameters
LinkedIn advises the following parameters regarding your Public Profile URL:
- Your custom URL can have 5-30 letters or numbers. Don’t use spaces, symbols, or special characters.
- Use a variation of your name and/or your professional brand since you’ll share this URL with people, so they can find your LinkedIn profile. Some job applications may also ask you for your LinkedIn profile URL.
- The customisable part of the URL is case insensitive. This means using KarenHollenbach, karenhollenbach, or karenHollenbach will all point to the same profile.
- If the URL you want isn’t available, please select a different one. Think laterally. For example, use the middle letter of your middle name or reserve the order of your surname and first name. LinkedIn can’t make custom URLs available to members upon request.
- You can change your URL up to five times within six months.
- If you use a URL and then change it, the original URL will be unavailable to members other than the original owner for six months.
- If you navigate to a previously claimed URL, you may see a page that reads Profile Not Found.
- Additional language profiles have the same URL, but LinkedIn will add a language field at the end. For example, “au” would be added at the end of the URL for a member’s Australian profile.
- Once an account is closed, the custom public profile URL will be available after 20 days from the date of close.
Source: LinkedIn Help
Image credit: https://precondo.ca/news
As one of Asia Pacific’s Top 10 LinkedIn Experts I share fortnightly news with my global email community and run monthly online Lunch and Learns to teach professionals how to unlock LinkedIn. Sign up to my newsletter to help you learn LinkedIn – the right way!