LinkedIn has a number of ways to assess how well you are using some of the features available to maximise the opportunity to be found online via your LinkedIn Profile. One of these features is ranking your profile and how well you have filled in, or optimised, all of the elements of your LinkedIn Profile.
Viewing Your LinkedIn Profile Strength Meter
The LinkedIn Profile Strength meter gauges how robust your profile is. The strength of your profile will increase as you add more relevant content to it. The feature recommends which profile sections you could add to in order to improve the discoverability of your profile in search results, and to increase profile search appearances. The meter is displayed on both desktop and the LinkedIn mobile app.
To view the Profile Strength meter:
- Click the Me icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage (if on the desktop) or the photo of you in the top LH side of your phone screen.
- Select View profile.
- Below your top card information, move your cursor over the meter to see which steps you’ve completed. If you’re an ALL STAR – well done!
- Click the Dropdown icon in the upper right corner of the meter to discover more information about the next profile strength completion step.
- Follow the prompts to complete any of the steps listed.
Note: Once the meter is full and all the prompts are complete, you’ll receive an All-Star profile rating and the profile strength meter will no longer be displayed on your profile.
Viewing Your LinkedIn Profile Search Appearances
If you’d like to know how many searches you currently appear in, here’s how. The Search Appearances profile feature displays statistics on how many people found you through a search on LinkedIn. This feature also provides member insights about those who searched for you, such as their companies and job titles, which can be used to surface professional opportunities that are relevant to you.
To access Search Appearances:
- Click the Me icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Select View profile.
- Click Search Appearances.
- Click on company names for more information or review the search statistics listed.
You’ll receive notifications with Search Appearances information on the Notifications page. Look for the bell on your phone or desktop if you are not sure where to access these.
Get Found via LinkedIn Search
With more than 20 million professionals including recruiters, hiring managers and decision makers using LinkedIn search every week, making simple improvements to your profile can make the difference in being discovered for a new job or professional opportunity. With LinkedIn’s Search Appearances feature you can go to your LinkedIn Profile on both mobile and desktop and see how many people found you from a LinkedIn search.
Optimise Your LinkedIn Profile for Search
If you’re not being discovered by companies or people with job titles that matter to you, simple LinkedIn Profile updates can help you appear in more searches. Consider before updating your profile you answer to these two questions:
- What do I want to be known for?
- Who am I trying to influence or get noticed by on LinkedIn?
Within LinkedIn’s Profile Completion Meter, you can see personalised recommendations on what profile sections you should add to increase your chances of showing up when a recruiter, potential business partner or candidate does a search on LinkedIn.
Here are some tips from LinkedIn to improve discoverability of your profile:
- Make sure you have a profile photo – it will help get you recognised and connect to potential opportunities. Members with a profile photo receive up to 21x more profile views and 9x more connection requests.
- Members with current positions are discovered up to 16x more in recruiter searches
- Members with more than 5 skills are 27x more likely to be discovered in searches by recruiters
- Including the city where you are based makes you stand out up to 23x in searches
As one of Asia Pacific’s Top 10 LinkedIn Experts I share fortnightly news with my global email community and run monthly online Lunch and Learns to teach professionals how to unlock LinkedIn. Sign up to my newsletter to help you learn LinkedIn – the right way!