How to Measure Your Social Selling Index on LinkedIn
LinkedIn’s Social Selling Index (SSI) is updated daily and measures how effective you are on LinkedIn across 4 key measures:
- Establishing your professional brand
- Finding the right people
- Engaging with insights
- Building relationships on LinkedIn
Curious by nature, I clicked on the Get Your Score Free button and discovered these results about myself.
My SSI ranks in top 2% of my network, and is nearly double the average of my network which, at the time of writing this, is just under 3000 professionals across a global network of professions and industries.
Looking deeper at my results, some interesting insights can be drawn from my specific scores for each of the 4 areas LinkedIn uses to measure my SSI.
- Establish Your Professional Brands – 24.5 out of 25 = 98%
- Find the Right People – 15.83 out of 25 = 63%
- Engage With Insights – 17.62 out of 25 = 70%
- Build Relationships – 100%
How LinkedIn’s Social Selling Index (SSI) is Calculated
LinkedIn informs us that “the Social Selling Index (SSI) is a measure that ranks a company or individual’s utilization of LinkedIn as a social selling tool. A variety of data associated with your LinkedIn account is used to calculate your SSI score.”
This data includes the following:
- Data about your professional brand
- The completeness of your LinkedIn profile, including the endorsements you’ve received
- Long form posts you’ve published and the number of followers resulting from your long-form posts
- Data about your relationships
- The acceptance rate of your connection requests
- Data about your engagement on LinkedIn
- Shares, likes, comments, and reshares
- Messages sent and the response rate
- Groups joined and your engagement within Groups
- Data about your use of LinkedIn to find prospects
- People searches
- Profile views
- Days active
What do the LinkedIn Social Selling Index Results Tell Me?
In many ways, these results are a strong validation of how I use LinkedIn to help achieve my business goals. Whether you want to call it building relationships, being collegiate and collaborative, social selling or content marketing, the insights I have drawn from this score are around the two measures where I have performed best. These measures are very indicative of how I use LinkedIn and relate very strongly to my beliefs about why LinkedIn is such a powerful platform to help you achieve your business and career goals.
Establish Your Professional Brand on LinkedIn
I scored 98% for this.
I believe LinkedIn is the place where you have the greatest opportunity (beyond your website, if you are a business owner) to clearly communicate who you are as a professional. If you are a professional working for others, it is THE place where you establish your professional brand.
I clearly position my professional brand on LinkedIn and train others to do the same via the many features available via your LinkedIn Profile, including:
- Profile photo
- Background image
- URLs and images within your profile
- Thought Leadership you provide via LinkedIn Articles
- How you engage with others via Groups, Comments & Messaging
Build Relationships on LinkedIn
I scored 100% for this.
I believe LinkedIn is a professional networking platform to attract, acquire and engage your professional community. Relationship building is at the core of all of my business activities, and LinkedIn is where I am most active each day (but sometimes for only 5-10 minutes, in between meetings) to network with my business community. I am an active user of LinkedIn messages and regularly like or comment on other individual’s LinkedIn Pulse articles or updates and company page updates.
When I run my training programs about how to network on LinkedIn I encourage people to be collegiate and collaborative when networking on LinkedIn. What does this mean? Choose 3 topics you want to be known for and then actively like and comment on people’s updates, LinkedIn Articles and company page updates in a way that is relevant and adds value to your connections.
Would you like to measure your LinkedIn Social Selling Index? Here’s how.
Thank you for reading my insights.
As a storyteller, I help quieter and thoughtful folk communicate better online (and offline). I enjoy the complexity of people and helping others through my coaching, training and online courses.