How to Measure Your LinkedIn Social Selling Index
LinkedIn’s Social Selling Index (SSI) is updated daily and measures how effective you are on LinkedIn across 4 key measures:
- Establishing your professional brand
- Finding the right people
- Engaging with insights
- Building relationships on LinkedIn
Curious by nature, I clicked on the Get Your Score Free button and discovered these results about myself.
My SSI ranks in top 1% of my network, and is nearly three times the average of my network which, at the time of writing this, is just under 3000 professionals across a global network of professions and industries.
Looking deeper at my results, some interesting insights can be drawn from my specific scores for each of the 4 areas LinkedIn uses to measure my SSI.
- Establish Your Professional Brands – 24.9 out of 25 = 99%
- Find the Right People – 15.71 out of 25 = 63%
- Engage With Insights – 16.06 out of 25 = 64%
- Build Relationships – 100%
How LinkedIn’s Social Selling Index (SSI) is Calculated
LinkedIn informs us that “the Social Selling Index (SSI) is a measure that ranks a company or individual’s utilization of LinkedIn as a social selling tool. A variety of data associated with your LinkedIn account is used to calculate your SSI score.”
This data includes the following:
- Data about your professional brand
- The completeness of your LinkedIn profile, including the endorsements you’ve received
- Long form posts you’ve published and the number of followers resulting from your long-form posts
- Data about your relationships
- The acceptance rate of your connection requests
- Data about your engagement on LinkedIn
- Shares, likes, comments, and re-shares
- Messages sent and the response rate
- Groups joined and your engagement within Groups
- Data about your use of LinkedIn to find prospects
- People searches
- Profile views
- Days active
What do these LinkedIn Social Selling Index Results Show?
In many ways, these results are a strong validation of how I use LinkedIn to help achieve my business goals. Whether you want to call it building relationships, being collegiate and collaborative, social selling or content marketing, the insights I have drawn from this score are around the two measures where I have performed best. These measures are very indicative of how I use LinkedIn and relate very strongly to my beliefs about why LinkedIn is such a powerful platform to help you achieve your business and career goals.
Establish Your Professional Brand on LinkedIn
I scored 99% for this.
I believe LinkedIn is the place where you have the greatest opportunity (beyond your website, if you are a business owner) to clearly communicate who you are as a professional. If you are a professional working for others, it is THE place where you establish your professional brand.
I clearly position my professional brand on LinkedIn and train others to do the same via the many features available via your LinkedIn Profile, including:
- Profile photo
- Background image
- Featured media
- Thought Leadership via LinkedIn Articles and posts
- Active and relative engagement with other content LinkedIn Newsfeed and Messaging
Build Relationships on LinkedIn
I scored 100% for this.
I believe LinkedIn is a professional networking platform to attract, acquire and engage your professional community. Relationship building is at the core of all of my business activities, and LinkedIn is where I am most active each day (but sometimes for only 5-10 minutes, in between meetings) to network with my business community. I am an active user of LinkedIn messages and regularly like or comment on other individual’s LinkedIn Pulse articles or updates and company page updates.
When I run my training programs about how to network on LinkedIn I encourage people to be collegiate and collaborative when networking on LinkedIn. What does this mean? Choose 3 topics you want to be known for and then actively like and comment on people’s updates, LinkedIn Articles and company page updates in a way that is relevant and adds value to your connections.
Measure Your LinkedIn Social Selling Index
Would you like to measure your LinkedIn Social Selling Index? Here’s how.
As one of Asia Pacific’s Top 10 LinkedIn Experts I share fortnightly news with my global email community and run monthly online Lunch and Learns to teach professionals how to unlock LinkedIn. Sign up to my newsletter to help you learn LinkedIn – the right way!