7 Reasons to Update your LinkedIn Profile
After speaking at a professional membership organisation’s industry event I was reminded of the fear some people experience when it comes to updating their LinkedIn profile. The fear I hear many people talk about is based on a concern that if they do update their LinkedIn profile, they may not be sharing the information properly or appropriately.
My brief for this event was to explain the importance of a personal brand, how to bring this to life via your LinkedIn profile and the role that LinkedIn Publishing and your daily LinkedIn rituals can play in raising your profile within, and beyond, your industry.
If you’ve heard me share my insights about LinkedIn you’ll know that I encourage discussion and welcome questions. While some of the professionals were proud of their LinkedIn profiles and had published on LinkedIn, some of them had a number of ‘aha’ moments as I shared my suggestions for how to raise your profile using some of LinkedIn’s key features.
7 Reasons to Update Your LinkedIn Profile
There are key reasons to update your LinkedIn profile, which include:
- You are thinking about changing jobs
- You need some time to consider your next career move
- Your LinkedIn profile is out of date and missing key information
- You feel ready for a change but need help telling your story
- You want a way to reconnect with past colleagues and friends
- You feel ready to explore the opportunities out there
- You are ready to make your next career move
Some of these ideas are also explained in the video below.
Consider your Goals for LinkedIn
Why would you spend time on LinkedIn? It depends on whether you are a Career Professional or a Business Owner, so make sure you consider your goals for both of these scenarios. And if you need any help, please ask!
- Research new job opportunities
- Optimise your profile to attract recruiters and potential employers
- Research competitors or clients as part of your current role
- Stay in contact with past and present colleagues
- Learn from industry experts
- Expand your network
- Research competitors
- Research potential clients
- Position yourself as a thought leader / expert in the industry
- Convert new clients to your services / products