One of the many things I love about using LinkedIn as a business and career tool is the ability to change features within my settings, depending on my goals for leveraging this platform. The default when you set up your LinkedIn Profile means when you have viewed people’s profiles (when logged in via your profile), they can then see (via their own LinkedIn updates) that you are looking at them.
Did you know you can also browse other people’s LinkedIn Profiles anonymously?
You have the option to browse LinkedIn Profiles anonymously so that your connections or the LinkedIn profiles you are viewing can not see that you are viewing their profile. While they will be notified someone is looking at their profile, if you change your settings to be completely anonymous when viewing other people’s profiles, then they will not be able to identify you.
This is a very useful tool if you are:
- just starting to find your way on LinkedIn
- you are researching competitors
- your profile needs an update and you don’t want people to view you
- you are researching potential clients or employers (as a side note – if your profile is looking good – you may want them to see you!)
With the option to browse profiles anonymously, when you view a profile, you’ll appear in that person’s Who’s Viewed Your Profile section as “LinkedIn Member – This person chose to be shown as anonymous”.
How to Browse LinkedIn Profiles Anonymously
- Move your cursor over your profile photo in the top right of your homepage and click Privacy & Settings. For verification purposes, you may be prompted to sign in again.
2. Click Privacy and then click Profile viewing options
Note: When you choose not to show your name and headline when viewing other people’s profiles, you won’t be able to see who’s viewed your profile.
Learn more if your list of viewers is missing.
As one of Asia Pacific’s Top 10 LinkedIn Experts I share fortnightly news with my global email community and run monthly online Lunch and Learns to teach professionals how to unlock LinkedIn. Sign up to my newsletter to help you learn LinkedIn – the right way!